Workplace Chemical Safety
- 1/2 Day
- 12 attendees
This introductory course enables employers to meet obligations under the Hazardous Substances Regulations 2017 whereby under section 4.5, all workers at risk of exposure to hazardous substances at work to must trained in basic knowledge of chemicals.
There are no specific prerequisites for this course.
Public Course Bookings
To find a suitable date and book a public course, simply use the online booking tool above, contact one of our sales support team on 0800 267 476 or use our contact us form.
Company Course Bookings
To run this course at your workplace please use the contact us form or contact our sales support team on 0800 267 476.
Do I have to train my staff in chemical handling?
Under the Health and Safety at Work (Hazardous Substances) Regulations, you must make sure your workers have and understand the information, training and instruction they need to do their work safely.
Workers need information about:
- Any work happening in their work area involving hazardous substances
- Where to find information about the hazards of each hazardous substance in the workplace and how to handle and store those substances safely. This includes the SDS but is not limited to the SDS.
Chemical Handling training and instruction needs to include:
- The physicochemical and health hazards of the substances (i.e. are they explosive, flammable, corrosive, toxic or oxidising)
- How to safely use, handle, store and dispose of the substances
- How to use plant (in other words equipment) necessary to manage the hazardous substances safely, including personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Any other duties the worker might have under the Regulations
- The worker’s role in an emergency involving the hazardous substances
- Understand hazardous substances in a workplace and the potential adverse effects
- Knowledge of workplace procedures to prevent adverse effects of hazardous substances
- Safe use of PPE to reduce exposure
- Knowledge of procedures during emergencies
31292: Demonstrate knowledge of workplace procedures relating to hazardous substances – 2 Credits
This course is run at your worksite and is tailored to your organisational needs. Please contact us for pricing, or complete an on-site booking request using the Book Now button above.