Safe Chemical Handling & Storage
- 2 Days
- 12 attendees
This course covers the key requirements for the safe handling and storage of workplace chemicals. It enables employers to meet obligations under the Hazardous Substances Regulations 2017 whereby under section 4.5, all workers at risk of exposure to hazardous substances at work to must trained to perform these duties safely. It is recommended for all workers who have daily duties that require handling and storage of workplace chemicals.
There are no specific prerequisites for this course.
Public Course Bookings
To find a suitable date and book a public course, simply use the online booking tool above, contact one of our sales support team on 0800 267 476 or use our contact us form.
Company Course Bookings
To run this course at your workplace please use the contact us form or contact our sales support team on 0800 267 476.
Do I have to train my staff in chemical handling?
Under the Health and Safety at Work (Hazardous Substances) Regulations, you must make sure your workers have and understand the information, training and instruction they need to do their work safely.
Workers need information about:
- Any work happening in their work area involving hazardous substances
- Where to find information about the hazards of each hazardous substance in the workplace and how to handle and store those substances safely. This includes the SDS but is not limited to the SDS.
Chemical Handling training and instruction needs to include:
- The physicochemical and health hazards of the substances (i.e. are they explosive, flammable, corrosive, toxic or oxidising)
- How to safely use, handle, store and dispose of the substances
- How to use plant (in other words equipment) necessary to manage the hazardous substances safely, including personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Any other duties the worker might have under the Regulations
- The worker’s role in an emergency involving the hazardous substances
- Classifying hazardous substances
- Potential adverse effects of hazardous substances on the body and environment, types of exposure, monitoring and treatment options
- Safe storage, tracking requirements, handling and disposal of hazardous substances
- Response to uncontrolled release of hazardous substances
- Health and safety information for safe handling, storage and disposal of hazardous substances
31290: Demonstrate knowledge of the safe management and potential adverse effects of hazardous substances in the workplace
31293: Demonstrate safe handling, storage, and disposal of hazardous substances in the workplace