New Zealand Certificate in Commercial Road Transport (Heavy Vehicle Operator) (Level 3)
- 28 Weeks
This programme is designed for those persons wishing to either enter the Commercial Road Transport industry and/or develop their driving skills beyond the basic licence holder, to become a safe and effective operator of a heavy rigid road transport vehicle and/or heavy vehicle combination. Driving heavy vehicles and/or machinery is a highly practical skill hence this programme is designed in support of the kinesthetic learner (hands on learner and likely audience) enabling the learner to progressively gain the practical skills and underpinning knowledge required towards becoming a professional transport operator. Practical skill development will be applied through a blended approach based on practical one on one tuition and practice, and through organized work experience allowing the learner to experience the industry culture while gaining exposure to the skills required in a live transport environment.
- Comply with the commercial road transport regulatory environment and health and safety obligations as a heavy vehicle operator to ensure the safety of themselves, their vehicle, other road users, and the public
- Demonstrate safe and fuel efficient driving skills and expertise, and perform driving manoeuvres and tasks for a heavy rigid vehicle or heavy vehicle combination
- Complete comprehensive route planning as a heavy vehicle operator using appropriate navigation technology, ensuring regulatory obligations are met and public safety is protected
- Communicate effectively with customers, clients and colleagues as a heavy vehicle operator
- Apply knowledge of heavy vehicle mechanical and electronic principles and systems, such as vehicle technology, types, and combinations, to transport freight and safely carry out essential checks.
- Understand and apply loading, restraint, and unloading principles and procedures, as a heavy vehicle operator
Please note: This course is subject to learner number requirements and may be postponed to a later date or cancelled if this number is not met.
September 2020 Intake:
February 2021 Intake:
This programme is approved for the Targeted Training and Apprenticeship (TTAF) Fund and has NO COURSE FEE.